Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Ice

The snow of yesterday was just a memory when I left for work this morning.  The sun was rising and the clouds were parting for a bright and chilly day.  After school there was a skate trip that I was chaperone for.  After that, I went to visit my aunt to help her with something online. 

As I put on the skates and tightened the laces I thought about how much my feet would be hurting later.  It was worth it.  It has been a year since I was on the ice.  This same rink at last year's after school skate day.  I didn't take any real breaks, staying on the ice for almost an hour, only stopping occasionally to see if a fallen student was okay or talk to someone not on the ice.  The last 15 minutes I was pushing myself to stay out there.  My legs were tired and didn't quite want to stay under me as when I began.  Going around there were places where I could see the concrete floor through the ice.  Lake skating seems more forgiving to me when one falls, the ice floats and somehow seems softer than in indoor rink with concrete.  Running through my head was the saying 'it isn't how many times you fall, but how many times you get up that counts.'  I didn't fall on the ice today, I got onto the ice once and stayed until it was over.

Ice skating is my happy for today.

Putting on the skates.


My aunt's yard...

and barn that is starting to crumble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment