Thursday, April 18, 2019

Maundy Thursday

Next week is April school vacation.  The students tend to get a little more rambunctious before a vacation.  The teachers try to find things that are educational and more fun the last day before the vacation.  This year we get two days.  Tomorrow something special is happening and today we had a guest from Northeast Passage.  I had not heard of this non-profit until this week.  They work with people with disabilities to help provide them with therapeutic recreation.  What caught my eye the most were the archery pictures they brought--one with someone pulling the string with a foot, and one with their mouth and a special thing so the string itself isn't in the mouth. 

Aside from the pictures, the man who came brought 20 wheel chairs that were the type used for playing on a court.  All the kids were able to be in a wheelchair and play a game that had a name I don't remember but was originally called murder ball.  The name was changed to something less threatening, and for me, more forgettable.  😉  Most of the kids had a blast.  It was a bit overwhelming for a few kids, but from what I saw, was still enjoyed. 

After lunch the adults got a chance to compete.  For once I volunteered to participate.  I usually hang back and watch things like this, especially team sports.  My childhood was filled with being the last called for a team and then making stupid mistakes like throwing the ball to the wrong team.  Thankfully I didn't make any overly stupid mistakes.  I'm still not the most skilled but it was blast and quite the workout.  One of the things that surprised me the most about playing a game in a wheelchair was how much my legs ached when I got up again.  It gave me a whole new level of appreciation for the amount of strength it takes to maneuver in a wheel chair.  I've been a caretaker a few times and had to push a wheel chair and that has its own challenges.  Knowing more about programs that do therapeutic recreation and playing on a team with and against school staff are my happy things for today.

In the afternoon I kind of had a craving for candy, didn't find what I wanted and over did it a little...


No comments:

Post a Comment