Monday, June 17, 2019

Mary, Mary

After the penultimate day of the school year my friend and I went out and did some more weeding and planting in her garden.  I am reminded about a part from The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett where Mary requests a piece of earth.  Gardening has never been a huge thing for me.  I like them but seldom have been able to keep up with the weeding and such.  My preferred plants were always the ones that come up again every year.  That would be the flowers I used to have in my yard (narcissus, lily of the valley, bleeding hearts, tulips) and also the edible strawberries and rhubarb.  We have planted some herbs and now cucumbers.  The rose bush has been uncovered, but there was no new growth yet.  Hopefully it will pull through now that the grass around it has been pulled.  It was a rough autumn around here and it didn't take long for things to grow that didn't belong.  So now in the home I sometimes stay at we are sharing a piece of earth and may have some fresh vegetables in the fall.  More plants need to be purchased, soon for a nice small fall harvest.

Gardening is my happy for today.

This bee was polite enough to pose for my picture taking. 






No comments:

Post a Comment