Sunday, June 9, 2019

The Statue

About two years ago or so I hiked in a local park, Winant Park, and there was a plaque near the top that introduced me to John Winant.  I don't remember much about that except that I was somehow intrigued by this person and wanted to learn more.  I didn't find out much, former teacher at St. Paul's and former governor of NH.  Then, walking through the city one night I was startled by a man standing in the dark who turned out to be a statue of Mr. Winant that had recently been erected.  There was more information to learn and this was good.  Again I tried to do a little bit of research and didn't find out much. 

A few weeks ago I found that there was a Geocache at his statue.  It isn't the usual-find a little container and add a name to it-type cache, it is a virtual cache.  This requires specific information about the site and to answer questions.  This required me to do more research and I somehow found much more information.  Enough that I am wondering if I spelled the man's name wrong or something before.  I don't think I did, but maybe I used other key, but limiting, words like teacher or St. Paul's School.

Anyhow, finding information about the former governor of NH, teacher, US Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Social Security head, fighter pilot, father, husband, friend to Winston Churchill, etc is my happy for today.  I now have more books to add to my reading list and things to learn about this man.





No comments:

Post a Comment